Session 1: Today we will continue demonstrating the techniques required to produce the World Project. I will also assign the requirements for World Project Milestone #3.
World Project Milestone #3
Due: Week 6, Session 2 (before class starts)
1. Be prepared to show your template for final feedback
2. Illustrate working navigation to multiple pages or content areas
3. Demonstrate how your markup and stylesheet differ from the in-class demos
Session 2: Please be prepared to show your World project for group critiques and feedback today as described in World Project Milestone #3. Afterward we will discuss the requirements for the Typesetting for the Web exercise. This exercise is intended to illustrate the alternatives to web-safe type as well as alternatives to rendering type as images. Placing type as images in web documents used to be the only way that non-web safe fonts could be included in navigation and content headers. Although many web designers still use this technique it is well known that it limits accessibility and does not contribute to SEO enhancements.
Technical Exercise 4: Typesetting for the Web
Due: Session 1, Week 7 (4 points)
Use the CSS3 @font-face rule to apply several open typefaces to a single web document. Create three headings and three paragraphs of place-holder text on the page. Use a minimum three open typefaces or fonts that you have a license to use for the headings and paragraphs. Experiment with the CSS properties line-height, and letter-spacing.
1. Use the CSS3 @font-face rule typeset three headlines and paragraphs
2. Download fonts from an open web resource or fonts that you are licensed to use
3. Use three or more typefaces for the headlines and paragraphs in the exercise
4. Apply several examples of the CSS properties line-height, and letter-spacing
5. Add the files and folders to your environment and upload to your student webspace
6. Test loading the exercise from your portal before class on session 1, week 7
3 points will be awarded for applying each typeface
1 point will be awarded for using line-height effectively
1 point will be awarded for using letter-spacing effectively