Session 1: For the final project for MIDI Systems I we will be using specific tools to create a generative musical composition and using MIDI in the process.
Final Project: Generative Music Composition
Compose a generative musical piece using software that provides one or more generative techniques. You may use GMS, Game of Life Sequencer, or other software per instructor approval. Your piece must be a minimum of 3 minutes long with a minimum of five distinct layers. Apply processing, automation, and carefully mix your piece to a stereo file.
1. Use one or more instructor approved applications to generate musical data in MIDI format
2. Edit, quantize, loop, and transpose the MIDI information in Pro Tools or a comparable DAW
3. Map a minimum of five layers of MIDI data to distinct virtual instruments (i.e. piano,strings, etc.)
4. There’s no maximum length within reason, but the minimum length is three minutes
5. Apply processing, automation, and carefully mix your piece to a stereo file
6. Present your project to the class during week eleven
Session 2: During today’s demonstration we will look at capturing MIDI from generative music software in Pro Tools. This will involve taking advantage of Apple’s IAC (Interapplication Communication) Drivers. If all goes well we may also look into creating ad hoc networks in order to interface with applications on the iPad from the computer.